Fruit and Vegetables are full of vitamins, minerals and fibre which help keep your body in good condition. They also contain potassium, which helps to balance out the negative effects of salt. Why is this important? This has a direct effect on our blood pressure and helps us to lower it.
Blood Pressure UK, the UK charity dedicated to lowering the nation’s blood pressure to prevent disability and death from stroke and heart disease, have provided 7 easy ways which can help us all to increase our fruit and vegetable intake to help lower our blood pressure.
The 7 Easy suggestions to lower your blood pressure are:
- Add a handful of berries or stewed fruit to your cereal or have mashed banana or avocado and sliced tomato on your toast in the morning.
- If you’re having eggs for breakfast add a side of grilled tomatoes, mushrooms or wilted spinach.
- At lunch and dinner make sure you include a side salad or at least of two portions of veg.
- Add salad to sandwiches and wraps.
- Add grated or chopped vegetables and pulses to pasta sauces, soups and stews.
- If making a shepherd’s pie or Bolognese replace some of the meat with lentils.
- Snack on fruit and vegetable crudités during the day.
As well as increasing our fruit and vegetable intake, there are a number of other ways that will help to lower our blood pressure, such as:
– Reducing your salt intake
– Drinking less alcohol
– Eating less sugar
– Being more active
Information sourced: http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/Home
Private Medical Insurance
If you live with high blood pressure or hypertension and you require a quotation for Private Medical Insurance, there are some insurers that offer the opportunity to cover new medical conditions associated with high blood pressure that may arise after the policy start date for no additional cost, subject to meeting the specific insurers criteria. Simply contact us on 01245 929 129 or email email@example.com and we will be more than happy to assist you.