If you have read or watched the news over the last 12 months, there is little doubt that you would have avoided seeing something relating to the waiting times on the NHS. Perhaps you have experienced it yourself, are you waiting to see a consultant at your local hospital or are you waiting for a non-urgent surgical procedure that has been cancelled more than once?
We are very fortunate in the UK to have the NHS, a system that many countries in the world do not have in place, unfortunately as the population grows and people live longer, the NHS is struggling to cope financially. Sadly for people needing non-emergency treatment this can really affect the timescales of their treatment.
How a private medical insurance policy could help:
- Taking out a private medical insurance policy whether as a business or an individual can ensure that you have access to medical treatment quicker. In general an appointment to see a private GP or specialist is usually through in days rather than leaving you waiting for weeks.
- Depending on your condition you may be able to access help without visiting your GP. Many insurance providers are offering direct contact when it comes to musculoskeletal claims with qualified professionals. If you then require a specialist consultation they are able to refer you straight on.
- Virtual GP appointments are also available from specific insurance providers in the UK. Saving even more time when it comes to getting treatment. Qualified GP’s will provide appointments either online of via telephone and can assess your condition on this basis.
- 2nd Opinion services are generally available on UK private medical insurance policies so you know that if you are unhappy or unsure about the diagnosis from your consultant you can obtain a second opinion without having to wait weeks for an appointment.
- 24/7 helplines are generally part of the insurance policies core cover and therefore available to members even on the most basic of cover level.
If you would like to know more about purchasing a private medical insurance policy then the team at SMP Healthcare would be happy to help you whether you are looking for cover on an individual or company basis. Please contact us on 01245 929129 or via firstname.lastname@example.org