There is more to the “occupational health” banner than you may be aware of. The costs of keeping a fit and healthy workforce could actually save you money in the long term.
Looking after the wellbeing of your staff is key to keeping your business running smoothly.
What is occupational health?
It is a specialised class of medicine that is focused on the wellbeing of employees in the workplace. This covers both the physical and mental wellbeing.
Aimed at preventing work-related illness and injury by using a number of elements including:
- Ensuring safe work practices are being implemented
- Looking at how you work and whether there is anything available to help you work better
- Monitoring the health of the full workforce
- Assisting with the management of sickness absence
How does occupational health achieve this?
There are many treatments that fall in this category. Below are just a few of the elements that could be included. This list is not exhaustive.
- By working with an employer to implement policies and make sure that there is full health and safety compliance.
- Conducting pre-employment health assessments
- Return to work interviews
- Specialised sector specific testing such as lung function tests , arm/hand vibration (HAVS) tests.
- Provide advice and counselling services for work, health and personal issues.
- Help the employer to see how adjustments can be made to improve working conditions
- Pregnancy risk assessments
- Night worker health assessments
Many businesses do not have the need for a full time occupational health provision. It can be dealt with on an ad-hoc basis. The business would pay for the services of an occupational health specialist as and when they need to do so.
Which health professionals could be involved with Occupational Health services?
Any one of the following medical professionals could be involved with treatment for occupational health services.
- specialist nurses
- specialist doctors
- occupational therapists
- occupational hygienists
The above information has been sourced from https://fitforwork.org/
There are a number of specialist providers in the UK who can provide occupational health support and services. Many traditional cash plan providers have included an element of occupational health. They also can provide a completely separate occupational health policy for your business.
The team at SMP Healthcare would be happy to assist you in finding the right solution for your business. You can contact us on:
Telephone: 01245 929129/ 0800 047 0127