When you are due to have an operation and call to pre-authorise you treatment with your Private Medical Insurer, they may discuss with you the fees charged by either your consultant or anaesthetist. Many people do not realise the extent to which the anaesthetist is involved with hospital procedures. On this basis we have therefore provided this brief guide for you. This information tells you what an anaesthetist is and what their role in your surgery may be.
The Royal College of Anaesthetists is the professional body responsible for the specialty throughout the UK, and it ensures the quality of patient care through the maintenance of standards in anaesthesia, critical care and pain medicine.
What is an Anaesthetist?
Anaesthetists are doctors who have completed a full medical training. As graduate doctors they choose to complete further training to become an anaesthetist. Anaesthetists form the largest group of hospital based specialists:
What does an Anaesthetist do?
Anaesthetists have a wide scope of practice which may include:
- The preoperative preparation of surgical patients
- The resuscitation and stabilisation of patients in the Emergency Department
- Pain relief in labour and obstetric anaesthesia
- Intensive care medicine
- Transport of acutely ill and injured patients
- Pre-hospital emergency care
- Pain medicine including:
- The relief of post-operative pain
- Acute pain medicine and the management of acute teams
- Chronic and cancer pain management
- The provision of sedation and anaesthesia for patients undergoing various procedures outside the operating theatre. Examples of this include different endoscopic procedures, interventional radiology and dental surgery (this list is not exclusive).
The information provided is sourced from The Royal College of Anaesthetists website however it really does only scratch the surface of the role of anaesthetists. There is a wealth of information available to all on their website. http://www.rcoa.ac.uk/
SMP Healthcare are an independent and unbiased Private Medical Insurance broker and would be happy to help anyone who is looking at the renewal of their existing Health Insurance policy or who are looking to buy Health Insurance for the first time. If you would like to know more information, please contact us by email; email@example.com or by telephone on 01245 929129.